My definition of a chimney
fire might be different from what you are thinking.
Keep reading and view our pictures below....
5th, 2010 at 4:30 am the dogs were barking and our life
was forever changed. I heard the creosote trickling
down the pipe but I also heard this weird popping sound.
Something didn't seem right, but I just rolled over
as my wife let the dogs out to go potty. She checked
the fire and looked up at the firebox in the ceiling.
There was this little crack of light she could
see and she yelled "Bob I think we have a fire".
Realize my wife has said this numerous times in
the past 17 years and I always told her the reason she
thinks it's a chimney fire.
without missing a beat, I told her "YES, we do
have a chimney fire". I was sleeping in the
great room at the time on a air mattress to help my
back heal, but as I turned to look at her I also could
see a glow in between our wood ceiling planks. My
next words were: "call 911" and try to find
our insurance papers".
immediately ran into my daughters room to tell her to
wake up and get out of the home we have a fire. Much
to my surprise our heavy sleeping daughter was instantly
up and out of bed. She was running for the Miss
USA type pagent in our community and the first thing
she took to the car was her brand new dress she purchased
a few days earlier. All told she took 3 diffferent
trips to the vehicle before we loaded up the dogs (3
of the 4) and told her to go to her Oma's house in town.
my wife was busy upstairs locating our insurance papers
and I was running around in my birthday suit (or close
to it) gathering up things she wanted to get out of
the house as well as my daughters things. On my
4th trip I managed to stop in our closet to find some
cloths to put on.
chimney fire was building steam and the loft of our
home was getting pretty smokey and I told her to get
out of dodge. Not exactly sure what else she did,
but without thinking she did not put on a coat before
she ran outside.
give you an idea our chimney flue ran up through our
master closet and that is the area that had the most
junk in it including all our cloths. We lost everything
in that area including family pictures. As you can imagine
it was horrible watching your home burn and you can't
do a darn thing except wait for the fire department
to show up.
will give the fire department all the credit because
from the time we called to the time water hit our home
was only 20 minutes. At the time it felt like
an eternity. Things to keep in mind is our fire
department is all volunteers, it was 4:30 in the morning,
the cops and sheriffs got lost in the thick fog and
they still managed to drive 5 miles out of town to our
fire department carefully plotted a strategy to attack
our fire by first fanning the fire with water from the
outside. It became difficult for them because
we had a metal roof. The metal roof helped keep
the heat inside but when they did manage to break our
doors down you could feel the heat rush out of the house.
inside they immediately began to tear our ceilings out
to help them have easy access to our fire. They did
a wonderful job of saving as much stuff as they could
including taking our computer apart and placing it in
a bedroom away from the fire. However, the heat
and smoke did penetrate the hard drive and after a few
days that computer died on me. Everything in our
great room, leather couches, tv's, stereo's etc. was
destroyed from heat, water and the wood ceiling falling
are lucky the fire stuck in the trusses and never worked
it's way down the walls to far. Click this link
to see a picture: Trusses
have we learned from this chimney fire?
off let me tell you what my definition of a chimney
fire is. A chimney fire starts inside your wood
stove pipe due to eccessive creosote buildup. Our
fire did not start inside the stove pipe. Instead
our best guess, the fire departments best guess and
even the insurance agents best guess is the stove pipe's
inner tube shifted close enough to the outside pipe
and seasoned the wood of our home until it finally ignited.
what I have learned from this fire is that you can never
think your pipes are sound after 15 years. I have
lived with wood burning heat my entire 50 years of life.
We've had 3 wood stoves in my family, my parents
have owned wood stoves and wood inserts and my brother
owns a wood stove. No matter what the cost have your
stove pipes, chimney pipes inspected every 5 years by
a qualified person and if they tell you something is
wrong, then get it fixed unless you like to gamble with
your life. I know my brother, my neighbors and everyone
we know has had someone inspect their chimney pipes,
wood stoves and inserts.
always best to be on the safe side even if it costs
you a few dollars. True wood burning families
would rather sink than lose their wood stoves and we
are one of them. However, I will tell you that
our stove pipes will be inspected yearly before every
fire season. And I don't mean cleaning the chimney
pipes, I mean crawling inside the attic and visually
checking every inch of that pipe. Those of you
who have a chase needs to get creative in your approach
to checking your stove pipes.
you occassionally use your wood stoves it's critical
but not as critical as someone who uses their wood stoves
to heat their entire home like we do. Our stove
turns on in October and runs full speed ahead until
late April or early May. More pictures below
Up for FREE 5 Day Report from Blaze King
- Learn where the best place to put your
new wood stove is
- Wood Stove vs Pellet Stove vs Gas Stoves
- How to properly season your wood
- What to look for in select wood stoves
For A Very Limited Time You Can Download A Copy Of My
Free Report On
"Wood Stove Secrets "